03 December 2008

The internet is a wonderful thing...

It really is. I've just been flicking through the pages of one of Munch's sketchbooks. Earlier on I had a look through one of Monet's. Both fascinating: and how else would I gain access to them?

This is why I'm so glad there are so many people on Flickr willing to share their sketchbook pages and the inner workings of their creative minds - I feel priviliged and grateful for the insights into other peoples' processes.  But Flickr isn't the only place to find sketchbooks pages.

If you aren't familiar with Book By it's Cover , do pay a visit. It's a blog dedicated to illustrated books. Julia began publishing pages from artists' sketchbooks every Friday, a few months ago. The sketchbook archives are well worth a look - as are all the other sections  - she has reviewed some stunning books.

TRACEY is an interesting online publication - it's a journal about drawing published by The Centre for Contemporary Drawing Research at Loughborough University in the UK. Included are articles and research papers - all centred on drawing and the creative process, and of course, pages from artists' sketchbooks. In some cases the participating artists have also written about what they use their  sketchbooks for, which makes for interesting reading.

There is  an open call for submissions of sketchbook pages to the project, if you are interested. They are also looking for other kinds of contributions, too.

This will be my last post for a while, so I hope you all have a happy holiday season and I'll see you in the New Year.

1 comment:

sHandke ART said...

Thanks for this post! I'm headed on over to check out TRACEY now.